Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Eirian and Other Diversions

Yeah... it has been a couple of days since I last wrote anything here. Not that I'm skiving or anything, but the fact remains that there is so much to be done over the last few days that it was really hard to be able to sit down and do a little introspection and wonder about other interesting things that have occurred.

The first interesting thing over the last few days was that the official record temperature that I went out without a jacket is now -2 degrees Celsius (with windchill). It wasn't that bad, actually, considering that by now most of my body is literally immune to cold. The important thing about how to actually survive something like this is to have good quality cloth that is non-porous---this will prevent the wind from slicing through the material and freezing oneself.

The second interesting thing to have occurred was the utter vote stuffing for The Glass Is.... It started off with being ``half-empty'' trailing at about 64.5 million votes (a travesty if you ask me, since most of the world is supposed to be rather un-optimistic), but with the combined efforts of my room mate and I, we managed to raise it to about 66 million votes, and with the help of other members of the Internet, we managed to push it past the ``half-full'' vote count. Here's a screen capture from my room mate's computer at that fateful moment:And now we are just making sure that we preserve the lead to show that the world is not really that optimistic after all.

The third interesting thing to have occurred is the arrival of my Continued Fractions book. As at now, here's a list of things that I want to do over Winter break:
  • Forth in assembly
  • Continued Fractions library prototype in Python 3.0
  • Study for GRE
  • Building applications/kernel for Eirian
Speaking of which, my iRex Reader is now known as Eirian, which means ``silver'' in Welsh.

Alright, back to the final grindstone for this semester. Till next time.

No comments: