Saturday, February 13, 2021

The Outer Worlds

It's the second day of 辛丑 year, also the eve of ``Valentine's Day''.

And I realised that I had not written anything for nearly 3 days. What a shocker!

To rectify this, here I am again, writing a short blurb.

This year's Chinese New Year is very uneventful personally, mostly because there is nothing to be done for the Chinese Orchestra (we have not been rehearsing for nearly a whole year), no visiting (as stated before), and uh... no outings of any sort. I spent some time archive bingeing Sam and Fuzzy, which had an absolutely epic story arc that finally concluded and segued into something more piece-meal, over nearly 20 years.

That's a really long time for anything, including web comics. I've also powered through a littlee of the Deep Learning book, but got really tuckered out from reading, no thanks to the thing that I wrote that I will not write about on Wednesday.

Thanks to the 50% Steam sale, I purchased The Outer Worlds---just the base game though, and not the DLC(s)/Season Pass. It is an homage to games like Fallout New Vegas, Fallout 4, and BioShock, a first-person shooting RPG with a quasi-open world concept. It's fun, the writing is good, and the gunplay is good enough. I was looking for something of this sort for a while---Borderlands 3 was on my radar for quite a while, but people have been consistent in saying that the only good thing out of it was the gunplay and not the writing. I did mull over it, and frankly, of all the Borderlands games, I loved Borderlands 2 the most because it had good writing. I bought and played Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, and it wasn't so good, and people were saying that it had better writing than Borderlands 3!

It plays closer to Fallout: New Vegas, what with similar mechanics, but it is definitely less buggy---I have not gotten Fallout: New Vegas to run nicely. It also looks a little dated these days. Ah well.

The more astute would ask, ``hey, didn't you say you were going to complete Feudal Alloy?'' Yes, yes, I know---I also said I was going to complete Halo 2 of The Master Chief Collection to some other folks. Patience---these are games that will be played.

It's just a matter of time. =)

One last piece of news---I somehow managed to bust up my right wrist. I think that it could be an overuse injury from typing at an odd angle (I have been keeping Eileen-II raised to improve airflow to keep the temperatures from going too high in non-airconditioned hot and humid Singaporean weather) for too long, again relating to the alluded to event-that-will-not-be-written-about on Wednesday. It'll heal.

After all, it's just a matter of time. =)

Okay, that's all I have for today. Till the next update.

No comments: