Monday, June 07, 2021

Bayonetta the PC Port on Steam is a Disappointment

I gave up on Bayonetta. The input lag is too unpredictable, and I'm sick of dying repeatedly for no good reason. I mean, I installed Devil May Cry 4 from Steam to test it out, and I nailed every combo easily with the same controller plugged into the same port.

Inputs in Bayonetta were getting dropped, and there was a rough 0.3 s delay that was very variable. In short, even though I muscled my way through about half-way through the game, it was starting to get frustrating. I could, in theory, use the keyboard to play it like how I first played Devil May Cry 4, but that kinda defeats the purpose of the game.

So, I just dropped Bayonetta. I've gotten my money's worth give or take, so I'm satisfied.

It's still a hot-ish day today, though we've not really hit the hottest time of the day, which is usually around 1300hrs local time. Interestingly, based purely on longitude values, SIN's 103°50'E suggests a true time zone of UTC+0700hrs, but thanks to various economico-politics reasons, we are at UTC+0800hrs instead. I mean, just check out this time zone map on Wikipedia. If it were some kind of world-democracy polity, it would spell ``gerrymander'' faster than a green snake up a sugar cane.

So the sun is technically at its highest at 1200hrs based on longitude, which happens to be 1300hrs at the given local time.

Staring at the time zone map, I just realised a few other things:
  • The whole of China shares a single time zone of UTC+0800hrs despite spanning 4 physical ones;
  • SIN and Vietnam share the same physical time zone despite SIN being ahead by one hour---trippy;
  • The international dateline is wonky and horrific; and
  • Russia is more willing to stick with the physical time zones than attempting to unify their 8 physical time zones with one that will make no sense at the extremes.
That's roughly it.

This is the last week of the so-called ``Phase 2 (Heightened Alert)''. Will there be an extension? I kind of doubt it, though if they are following the additive increase/multiplicative decrease strategy, they will only relax the conditions every so slowly after this restriction lifts. It's generally alright for me, since I'm flying solo these days---doing things while alone is generally much faster, though it may not be as fun as someone else is present sometimes.

I'll probably spend the rest of the day either binge reading more of the Animorphs series, or play some other games that I have on backlog in Steam.

Till the next update.

No comments: