Friday, October 01, 2021

More Minecraft Fun

Oh hey, look: it's Friday, and simultaneously the start of October. We are fast reaching the end of this tumultous year, and to me, it feels as though I've only just begun this new chapter in life.

I spent much of the day pottering about in Minecraft, adjusting the item auto-sorter to use five double-chests (that's 5×54 slots×64 items per slot, giving a total item capacity of 17280 items) with associated hoppers to handle some of the higher rate loot that the dead mobs drop (I'm staring at you, skeleton with the expected number of bones being roughly 1.5×4.5=6.75 per group spawn. I added two more items to the item auto-sorter, hoping to get a spider farm working simultaneously, but the set up I created had issues that I didn't know how to resolve. Using the original gravity-type set up similar to my existing mob farm, I had spiders spawning, but they seemed trapped in the 2×2 holes, refusing to fall. I switched over to a side-spawn flow-pushing set up, but that didn't spawn any spiders at all. I am a little disappointed, and have abandoned that for the moment.

I also adjusted the item auto-sorter to route the unneeded zombie flesh from the dead zombies into an automatic trash can---it's a set up that uses a redstone clock circuit to pulse a dropper fed with items through a hopper which will drop each item into a cauldron of lava, the last of which would destroy the entity by removing it out of the game. The clock circuit was needed because the dropper only operated on a change in redstone signal, which meant that a simple unmodulated redstone signal from a lever was insufficient.

I also improved the way to get up and down between the main mob farm floor and the storage floor that contained the warehouse, item auto-sorter, auto-trash can, and the automatic sugar cane farm.

After doing all that I, I decided on a whim to build the nether-rail that I talked about. That was completed in a jiffy, considering that one block in the nether corresponded to 8 blocks in the overworld. So that 2.7k+ block railway that I built while exploring my way to a deep ocean biome became a much shorter 300+ block nether-rail. That distance compression comes at a price though---travel through the nether is more dangerous than in the overworld. For instance, the main way to get structures destroyed in the overworld is carelessness with regard to creepers. The mobility of the creepers is limited to land, and more importantly, they only cause structural damage when they are in very close range of the player.

In the nether though, there exists ghasts. Ghasts are ranged mobs that fire projectiles that explode on impact. Any building material that doesn't have enough blast resistance will just disappear in that circumstance. Thankfully, my primary building material for structural elements has been smooth stone, whose blast resistance of 6 can withstand the damage from the ghasts' fireballs. But the rails that sit on them... those aren't as resistant, and can prove to be a problem. So one of the projects that I will need to do later on is to build a protective covering around the rails for the parts that are heavily exposed.

Anyway, that's all I have for now. I'm going to work a little bit on synchronising mechanisms in the main-loop of LED2-20 before calling it a night.

Till the next update.

No comments: