Saturday, November 20, 2021

DSA and Other Busy Things

Let's talk about the Direct School Admission (DSA) for secondary schools for a bit. The intent is noble---to allow admission to excellent secondary schools based on a broader criteria that goes beyond what the Primary School Leaving Examination (PSLE) scores are. Here's what their ``Who can apply'' states:
Really, it's essentially everything and anything that is not directly tied to academics.

I'm sure the intent is good---most policies generally begin with good intent. But looking at it with a more critical eye, this policy seems to once again benefit the wealthier more than truly levelling out the playing field, for the simple reason that the wealthier has more resources at hand to assist their child in developing their skills in these ``wide-range of talents'' through additional external courses.

``But MT, what about things like `uniformed groups' and `leadership'? Aren't those things that one can only do while in school, with no other possible `enrichment classes' that can help it?''

I don't know. Just because it is listed there as a possible ``talent'' doesn't necessarily mean that it is used, yes? If there are some available statistics that show the intake numbers by category of talent, then I am willing to accept that I am wrong if those numbers prove my words otherwise.

From old article though, it seems that the focus was ``sports and arts''. Actually, that article raises more concerns about the DSA, where the ``general academic ability tests'' are said to be removed (mind you, this is circa 2017---maybe they've changed things again).

My concern, apart from favouring the wealthy, is the future of these children who have been admitted under the DSA scheme. Did they truly end up extending their talents to the point that they can make good with them after leaving school? Considering that the first cohort was circa 2004 (at secondary one), and that it is 2021 now, seventeen years have passed.

We should have data to evaluate if the DSA fulfilled the implied goals of developing people who work better outside of the standard mould, yes?

So...?

Anyway, I just hope that those who underwent the DSA fared better than those who underwent the Gifted Education Programme (GEP). SIN city is notorious for living ``by the numbers'', and anyone who falls out of the ``model group'' is destined to have to do everything in very unorthodox ways, or to have 贵人 in the right places that help them along.

------

In other news, today's been a heavy Bible-reading sort of day. I attended a seminar that taught about the ``linking words'' tool for biblical interpretation, and am making my way through Unspoken Sermons by George MacDonald, finishing two of the three series contained within that book. Actually it isn't just today---I've been hitting the books heavily immediately after my NaNoWriMo win in preparation for my baptism.

Gotta take some time for things to settle in my head. Mucho information download desu. And there's a baptism class seminar tomorrow evening as well. Them all being online helped a little, but not much.

Oh, and the rules for dining in seemed to have changed again, to 5 humans a table? Not sure what to feel about that though... it's been a strange enough time that I have frankly gotten too comfortable moving about like a solitary ghost.

My finger tip skins are cracked again, and it is making my typing horrifically uncomfortable. And so, I think I will stop here for now.

Till the next update.

No comments: