Wednesday, November 10, 2021

Impish Indri

Okay, let's first give credit where credit's due. I mentioned about my distaste of the new CPF UI, and how I sent in feedback without really expecting it to be read. That was Nov 01.

Well today I received an email from a human that thanked me for the feedback and that they would consider the tabular preference that I mentioned as part of their regular reviews to make their website better. This slightly more detailed reply came after an initial one on Nov 05 that acknowledged receipt of my feedback and informed me that they needed more time to address my ``enquiry''. That email from Nov 05 was also from the same human, though it did sound a little mechanical.

And so, I stand corrected. They really do seem to actually look at the feedback---whether or not they take any further action about it to correct things according to my feedback is immaterial and irrelevant. That they took 10 calendar days before giving me a solid enough reply that is based on my feedback suggests that they probably did go through an internal process. So if there's anyone who have similar issues (or others really) regarding anything interface related, it might well be worth dropping them a message using their mechanism.

------

I updated my mum's computer to ``Impish Indri'', since ``Hirsute Hippo'' was really a stop-gap to obtain kernel-level support for the full 1080p graphics support. It's been more than 3 months, so in theory the backporting to the 20.04 LTS ought to have taken place... but I really don't want the hassle of going backwards.

I think I'll just keep updating until we hit the next LTS release and stay there. So at present, my mum's machine's upgrade path is now 20.04→20.10→21.04 (beta)→21.04→21.10.

Oof. The next LTS is slated to be 22.04 ``Jammy Jellyfish'', so we're just one more upgrade to it. At that point, I've gotta decide if I want to keep it at the LTS or keep going. The main pro of staying is that of stability and familiarity since the hardware hasn't changed. The main con is... uh... I might have to maintain an LTS VM somewhere on my machine to keep track of what is going on? Though I'm not really certain that that can be considered a con.

Anyway, that's all I have to say for now. Till the next update.

No comments: