Wednesday, December 22, 2021

Dragging My Quasi-Survival Solo Player into 1.18.1

Alright, today was a calm day.

I talked about the whole Minecraft 1.18.1 updates, and how I wasn't sure if I wanted to bring my tech-laden world up from 1.17.1 to 1.18.1. I chose to in the end. The reason was simple: I had lots of resources and the associated technology/buildings from 1.17.1 that would remain unchanged in 1.18.1, and the new extension of the depth by another 64 blocks did not affect my resources in any bit, since I already have generated much of the chunks before, and have mined lots of resources beforehand.

Besides, I did try to play a 1.18.1 map from scratch, and was really bored. The cave systems was fine from an adventure perspective, but when it comes to resource accumulation and the cathartic ``mindless'' mining part of Minecraft, it really felt lacking.

And I had invested in enough infrastructure in my 1.17.1 world that having to start all over again in 1.18.1, with the newer more scarce resource distribution just felt like work. This was different from the transition of the new 1.17 world while ignoring my old 1.16.5 map---I really had not advanced far in 1.16.5, and there was sufficient distance of time for me to be willing to forego the scant progress that I had made in that map and start anew.

The 1.17.1 world that I have represents a compact-type of set up that I was striving for---I had miniature factories and my warehouse all set up in a moderate building atop a hill. I dug a deep shaft to the then bedrock level, and mined out three blocks height's worth of resources along the plane. It was as compact a mining operation as it could be. I had carved the hill into half, and flattened the other side enough to create a massive platform from the mined resources to house the more spread-out factories. My nether portal led to a miniature rail hub that led to various interesting parts, like my end portal, my blaze hunting grounds, the jungle biome, and my simple mob farm.

I liked what I had done, and I had done much more than I had ever thought I would in Minecraft. Ditching all that for 1.18.1 felt wrong.

And so, my 1.17.1 world is now brought into the 1.18.1 one, and I did some work dropping another shaft down to the new bedrock level, and extended my water elevator to service that. I also lit up the deep cave that was present, but have no plans to develop anything at that layer just yet. I think I might bring this world map into 1.19 when it turns up, with the fabled Warden and other tough mobs in the deep dark. I also started creating large rooms within the hill that my base was sitting on---so far I had only built upwards, using the hill mostly as a foundation, rather than actually building into the hill itself. I couldn't do it before because it would require too much resources that I didn't have then, things like glass, or even pick-axes with silk touch or just better mining efficiencies. I've cleared out two floors for rooms, and that's when I stopped---I'll probably work out what to do with them later on. Maybe a larger storage mechanism or something?

Anyway, that's all I'd like to update for now. Till the next one then.

No comments: