Friday, December 10, 2021

Thirds of Months

And just like that, a third of the month has gone. Not sure if I had mumbled about this before, but I generally like dividing a month up into thirds as opposed to the more usual weeks. It's mostly due to the peculiar way in which we number off the days in a year.

When we divide the month in thirds, each third is usually 10±1 days, where that ±1 applies to the last third of the month.

Dividing a month into weeks is ugly. While each month has at least 4 weeks, the remainder of between 1 to 3 days quickly adds up more interstitial weeks. Thus, 12 months of 4 weeks each yields only 48 weeks or 336 days, leaving another whole ``month's'' worth of 4 weeks.

Incidentally, that's where the ``13th-month pay'' comes from. Note that in SIN city, it is gaslighted as an annual wage supplement, a means for companies to potentially not award under the undefended claims that the business results are ``exceptionally poor that year''. It is for this reason that I'd rather talk about annual compensation instead of monthly too.

Note also that for SIN city, CPF rates are taken into account from the company's perspective for compensation as well. So any annual salary package quoted will need to adjusted to take the CPF rate into account, either by subtracting (to find comparable take-home salary), or adding (to find the cost from the company's perspective). But I digress severely.

10 calendar days translates to about 7 working days even, and gives a much easier effort estimate with built-in slack compensation. It is also less susceptible to the aliasing effects of using weeks alone, and allows faster back-of-the-envelope calculations too.

But mostly, it really is that much easier to see which third of the month we are in by just staring at the date itself. And I like that a lot.

------

Anyway, I spent much of the day doing my reading for my baptismal classes, as well as just general contemplation as part of the winding down of my sabbatical year. I managed to secure a job through Providence even before I formally started on my job search, and with that, I am thankful to the Lord who always provides. I pray that my role at this job will be a fruitful one, and that I will have joy working at it.

I have an appointment tomorrow morning to bring Eliana down for a technical look-see. For the confused, Eliana is my anomalously designed alto flute. Her issue is that the padding between the B-key and B♭-key seems to either get too compacted and hard, or had fallen off---each time I play instrument C, that rebound of the B-key from the spring keeps giving me a loud ``piak'' sound.

It really doesn't help that I play Eliana like how I would play a D æ›²ç¬›, i.e. using the instrument C-major fingering to play concert G-major. For the non-flute player, this means that I will keep hearing that ``piak'' sound non-stop.

Due to that appointment, I think I will just turn in for the night. Before I go though, I will just drop off a link to the Smol Calli concert that was produced by Amelia Watson. I think it qualifies as a legendary Hololive EN video, as it is the first all-in-home-based-VR/3D concert. Other Hololive 3D concerts had been done through Cover Corp's studios in Japan, so this alternative set up can be seen as a watershed moment for the Hololive EN crew since they span the entire planet as opposed to being in Japan itself. It's worth checking out for the legendary moment.

And with that, I'm done with this post. Till the next update.

No comments: