Wednesday, December 01, 2021

Welcome to Month 12 of My Sabbatical---The Last Month

Welcome to the start of the last month of my sabbatical!

It's a month full of things that are going to happen. For instance:
  1. I'm getting baptised this month;
  2. Finish up my testimony of the Lord for my baptism;
  3. Probably going to try and catch up with folks over the holidays before I start cranking that post-sabbatical job hunt;
  4. Thinking about what gift I should get for myself for next year's birthday;
  5. Maybe complete a couple of games that I have started but have not finished (I'm looking at you, Ori, Serious Sam 3: BFE, and Ion Fury); and
  6. Actually transcribe 21/06-29 instead of being a lazy bum.
I am excited---I feel re-energised actually, and am ready to close the chapters behind me to embark on yet another adventure.

The past has been opened up for personal reflection, and it has been carefully wrapped up and put away after having sorted through it. I know that I don't want to have children, and that perhaps flying solo for the next few years might just be the right thing for me. As sexist as it sounds, since I am a male in this quasi-Asian society, the pressure on me to settle down with a wife is not as strong as that on a female of a comparable age, and frankly when someone has hit middle age like me, either we ``make it'' or ``break it'' when it comes to the world of spousal relationships.

Usually people marry at my age group due to the need to ``carry on the family name'', i.e. have children. As for me, I say no. And anyone who dares to contradict me is welcome to say that in my face and see what happens---it is my life after all, and I will just tell them to go pound sand/fly kite. With that pressure of bearing children forcefully let off by me, and my general disdain for society's irrational norms anyway, flying solo is totally fine.

If it be God's will that I have a woman to cleave unto as a spouse, then let His will be done; conversely, if it is His will that I go about solo, it will also be done too. After all, everything has its time. Better to be single than to marry wrong---divorce is not the way to go. This is, of course, my own personal opinion about my own state; I do not judge others for whatever choices they have made. Not to mention how the social order is destroyed due to the effects of the various reactions of the authorities when facing COVID-19---it is hard to even meet people we already know, let alone trying to meet with someone new to start something deeper.

Maybe COVID-19 will be the start of the obvious slide to the true dystopian future... who knows? I surely do not know.

Anyway, the weather is still garbagely hot today. I have half a mind to just sleep on the floor without an intervening mattress just to keep cool---I might just do that anyway. Even with a fan blowing, all I feel is h e a t.

Seriously man, isn't this supposed to be the ``wet weather season''?

Anyway, that's all I have to update for now. I'm still working my way through Knowing God by J. I. Packer. It's slow going, but it is still going.

Till the next update then.

No comments: