Tuesday, July 31, 2007

A Blog is more of a Soapbox than a Conversation

Just thought I'd say this: this blog is pretty public. Don't believe me? Try running google.com on any word that exists in this blog, chances are, one can find them returned as a searched item. I mean, I could limit who gets to read the blog(s), but I don't see any reason why I need to do that for; I figure that some people might find some of the things that I do interesting, and thus have no intent of just blocking everyone and allowing the hallowed few to actually access the blog.

A blog is more of a soapbox than a conversation. I mean, I have my fair share of bashings from various people on various blogs, but I don't really get completely upset at them as I know that the blog... is just a freedom of expression of what they want to say/do. As long as it is not defamatory in anyway, that is. Sometimes, if it is a little overboard, I might just enter a slightly-robust protest to the author, and then I'm done. If I'd like to engage someone in a conversation, I'd usually do so through instant messaging or by email.

This might come as an odd post from the perspective of the fact that I've been blogging for quite a while, but I felt it necessary to say this once again lest people start misconstruing the significance of my blog(s).

While it is true that my blog(s) reflect some aspect of my life (where else do I get new ideas from?), it is not wholly true that all the material in my blog(s) are completely reflective of my life. The same goes for most of other people's blogs; there are many things that we can talk about on blogs (like recent break-ups, interesting links found, new programs, some plans), there are other things that we don't usually do so (like the details of the break-up, links to pirated stuff, programs covered under trade secrets, plans involving corporate takeovers etc). The blog provides only a partial view of what the world of the blogger is living in, it is by no means the only and complete view of the world that the blogger lives in.

That said, do read things around here and there with sufficient skepticism.

No comments: