Thursday, July 26, 2007

Skimpy Clothing?

*stretches self* It's a long day out, and I'm finally back home. Spent most of the evening walking around Vivocity to kinda loosen myself out. And yes, I know that it is not a Friday, but I don't really care. Sometimes, walking in crowded places puts things into perspective, like you're only one out of the many people, there's always things going on even if your world is crashing and so on. The ambient noise also helps a little, considering the fact that my office is almost perpetually in silence due to the fact that it is... an office, d'oh.

Some cute things observed today: females seem to like to wear skimpy clothing over in this part of the world. And I kid you not; even if the whole friggin place is downright fscking cold, they still go round in spaghetti straps and hot pants and slippers. Yikes! Not that I actually notice them or anything; they're almost everywhere, so I'd be hard pressed to actually try avoiding them.

Apparently, the Wacom tablets are sold here in Singapore too. Unfortunately there seems to be a couple of catches: it's more expensive, and there is no mouse (compare the item at Amazon.com and Wacom Singapore). The same unit (USB-connected version) has a mouse for Amazon.com, while the Singapore one doesn't exist. Interesting that this is occurring... perhaps there's some hidden marketing ploy that I don't know about? I'm really tempted to get one of those ultra-portable clipboard-like tablets, so as to be able to write my notes from lectures and keep a digitised copy of the notes to transfer to machine. It's either that, or I get a low-cost scanner. The good thing about the scanner is perhaps the fact that I can have a much better quality than trying to guesstimate optimal light settings when taking photographs of the document that I want to save. Having even light settings means that it becomes really simple to downsample the image's colour depth thus shrinking file size, but still maintaining the high quality of the picture.

In other news, I totally love FL Studio 7! After reading half a tutorial and watching one-and-a-half training videos, I now know the development process of arranging a piece of music in FL Studio 7. And boy is the system powerful, couple that with the Lifetime Free Updates system, suddenly the money spent on it is well worth it. I mean, with the same amount of money spent on FL Studio, I can probably get like three quarters of Microsoft Windows Vista, yet I can keep on updating one while the other is doomed until the next major release, where I need to spend almost another bunch of hundreds to get the new system.

I'm really tempted to get one of those small form factor machines to set up as a rig back in CMU. They seem small enough for me to actually backpack the CPU around (add that to the mass of Edythe means that I need a much stronger backpack). Just a dream though... not really likely to be getting something like that. May end up building up a weird righ through salvaged mother boards, but then again, no one truly knows what I might end up doing. Setting up server rigs always sound interesting to me, especially since it means I can hack code to actually control the machine.

Alright, it's getting late. I'll be sleeping now. Hopefully, there's more interesting stuff to share tomorrow.

Ciao~

No comments: