Thursday, July 12, 2007

Young Adult-hood

Looking back on the things that I've done so far (yes, it sounds vaguely familiar to a particular song that was fashionable in the 1990s), I realised that I have probably learnt a whole lot more new stuff in the last 8 months than I did for the last 8 years. And I am seriously not exaggerating.

Basically put, over the last 8 months, I have more or less completed my transformation from a teenager/kid to a young adult, with more responsibilities, more sensibilities, and more sensitivity, as well as a much different point of view. Remember a long time ago when I was saying things that I would never live past the age of 20? Well, in a sense, it was true; I never did live past the age of 20 with the kind of mentality that I originally had. But now, as I am picking my life up again from the broken pieces that came about during the last few months, I am starting to be much calmer than before, with a sense of humour that is much more interesting than the one that I originally had. I'm still a little whiney, but probably not as whiney as I was some time ago.

I'm pretty much a goal orientated person; it is really rare to be able to find me without a goal at any stage of my life. One reason why I had so many types of problems during the previous few months, was because my goals at that time were fairly undefined, which is really a sad thing, with all things considered. Not to mention the fact that during that time, I was in really trying times, having to deal with many weird emotional/mental/psychological issues, spanning from the sudden feeling of betrayal, to the feeling of absolute loneliness. My life was pretty much torn apart and put back together just to be torn apart again to be put back together; that pretty much sums up the aftermath of post age twenty.

Now of course, I have goals in my life. There is direction once again. Many have tried to dissuade me, by saying things like "if you don't expect, you won't be disappointed", or even "why bother planning at all?" In my worldview, planning is always a useful thing to be done, even if in the end the plan is completely awry. A good plan is one which charts out the potential directions that can be taken towards a goal or two; it is also flexible enough to be able to accommodate any sudden eventualities that might crop up during the course of execution of the plan. I always think that to approach anything without a plan is completely foolhardy—if you have the chance to do a little planning, it is often more useful than to blindly charge up and down the alleys just to find oneself getting stuck in some dead-end.

So, yes, I do not expect any more manic/depressive episodes to be occurring any time soon. Life is starting to become good, and it should be on its way to being better.

No comments: