Sunday, May 02, 2021

Futurama Day

A day of Futurama is a day that is well-spent.

I've watched Futurama for years now, doing a re-watch at the average frequency of once per year. While I was working, it acted as the no-bandwidth consumption alternative of a masking background thing that silenced the discomforting feeling of complete silence that was often the case in most of the offices I worked in. It has been a while since I actually sat down to watch Futurama solely, and doing so today has revealed a slightly deeper pattern to it that I have not noticed before.

For example, the pacing of each Futurama episode is actually faster than that of Daria. The leading setting for the episode in the first act quickly evolves to the ``main content'' of the second act, which finally leads to the resolution of that ``main content'' in the final act. Themes in Daria lasts more or less consistently throughout the entire episode, and thus the pacing feels a little slower.

The soundscape choices of Futurama are also subtly contributive to the overall feel, a point that I missed out before because I was usually concentrating on whatever I was working on instead of paying closer attention to what was being said/playing in the background.

I didn't do much of other things today, other than put away the boxes for the components that I had purchased while building my mum's PC, thus freeing up more space. I really need to think about how I am storing my tenor saxophones---they currently sit in front of the various music and instrument stands, and make it a little harder to access them for easy grab-and-play semantics.

I haven't really been playing/practising/composing for the last month, and I think I would like to rectify that soon.

By the way, here's Sangah Noona. She recently started up a new channel for worship songs. I like her playing, and I like her singing voice---it's smokey. For some reason, I find myself enjoying the female voice that has that smokey quality to it, even higher-pitched singers like 何伶/董沁 (real name: 董晓禾). I suppose it really just means sexy, but eh, it's nice.

Anyway, Sangah Noona---she does live streams every Friday/Saturday evening (US Eastern time I think), where she plays stuff from a set list generated from what people request of her master list. I don't usually listen live (it's like stupid morning o'clock in Singapore), but I do reach for them when I'm doing some reading of some sort.

That's about it for now. Till the next update.

No comments: