Wednesday, May 05, 2021

Teeth Cleaning

Today---it is an off day. I was daydreaming of what are good suicide missions to go on to make the best use of this meat-armoured carbonated hydroxyapatite endo-skeleton body. Thankfully, I couldn't come up with any, because there was nothing really impactful that one death can do.

Viewed positively, it means that this intrusive thought can go take a hike. Viewed negatively, this world is so fucked that even if one is willing to die, there is literally nothing that ``ultimate sacrifice'' can do.

Anyway, on to less depressing matters.

I went to get my teeth cleaned and treated with high concentration fluoride at Bukit Timah Nam Seng Dental Surgery Pte Ltd over at 144 Upper Bukit Timah Rd, #01-16 Beauty World Centre, Singapore 588177. I missed my annual trip there last year thanks to the greater uncertainty that came from the pandemic, and in many ways, I thank God that I had the appointment made for today, since there is a return to more restrictions thanks to the recent ``spike'' of so-called community cases.

After the dental appointment, I walked about Beauty World Centre for a bit, just to lay down new memories and contexts to put the older ones further out of the way. The foodcourt on the top floor still exists, and I even had some beef-ball kway teow from Penang Home Made Beef Ball once the 30+ minutes of waiting time after the fluoride treatment has passed. The shophouse/room that was originally an archery specialty shop that became a dance studio is now yet another handy-man store, seemingly competing with the venerable Lucky Departmental Centre at #04-09.

The more astute might wonder. How is going for a dental appointment remotely related to an old memory that I want to recontextualise? It's about Oishii Bakery at #04-02---I remembered buying some bread from there on a Saturday after lounging about from after yet another dental appointment to feed her before she was going to scramble from her work place to an event that she was working on after work. The timing was tight enough that I was worried about her not getting dinner, and so I did what I did.

Memories... so silly huh. Talked with YT about this recently, and we sort of disagreed on what happens to them. She says she overwrites old memories with new, while I say I bury them with new. I think we can both agree that the final outcome is that the new memory gets preferentially retrieved, and hopefully through that preferential retrieval the old memory does not re-surface.

Anyway, I headed to Shen & Co. after that at 140 Upper Bukit Timah Rd, #01-01, Singapore 588176 (basically in the building next door) and chilled for a bit with some Long Black coffee and fries with garlic [cloves] and truffles.
I did a little bit of dead-tree journal writing as well, and did a little reading.

The route home was interesting. I didn't take the Downtown Line (DTL) all the way to Little India station for the transfer, but instead got off at Tan Kah Kee station to switch over to bus service 74. It has been a long while since I took that bus, and I was just curious to see what has happened to the roads that it plied, especially since the construction of the North-South Corridor (NSC) has messed up Marymount Rd and Ang Mo Kio Ave 6, with massive diversions and other unsightly crap that was akin to the phase 2 construction of the Thomson East-Coast Line (TEL) that I talked about before.

Conclusion after riding through? Yep, it's quite messed up. The diverted roads are a whole 3-lane carriageway displaced, with lots of big dug up work-areas that are cordoned of, where Singapore's most common bird (the construction crane) roosts.

Anyway, I think that's about it for now. Till the next update.

No comments: