Tuesday, May 11, 2021

6 More Pints of Guinness Down the Hatch

I went to my favourite bar again today, and drank 6 pints of Guinness while having a salmon sandwich (totally counts as part of the burger+beer deal on Tue and Thu), luncheon chips, and eventually a rib-eye steak, before topping it all off with some Anderson's ice-cream.

Then a thought came to me: do I have a drinking problem?

I mean, I'm not exactly drinking every day, but I do drink moderately every week. That's not a drinking problem... right?

Well I'm no expert. According to this FAQ though, the warning signs of a drinking problem include (numbered for ease of reference):
  1. Spending a lot of time obtaining, using, and recovering from the effects of alcohol.
  2. Being unable to cut down on alcohol use despite a desire to do so.
  3. Cravings, or a strong desire to use alcohol.
  4. Having a tolerance (i.e. needing to drink increasingly large or more frequent amounts of alcohol to achieve desired effect).
  5. Developing symptoms of withdrawal when efforts are made to stop using alcohol.
  6. Using alcohol in higher amounts or for a longer time than originally intended.
  7. Giving up previously enjoyed social, occupational, or recreational activities because of alcohol use.
  8. Being unable to fulfill major obligations at home, work, or school because of alcohol use.
  9. Continuing to abuse alcohol despite negative interpersonal or social problems that are likely due to alcohol use.
  10. Using alcohol in physically dangerous situations (such as driving or operating machinery).
  11. Continuing to abuse alcohol despite the presence of a psychological or physical problem that is probably due to alcohol use.
Hmm... based on that list, I think the answer is an emphatic... no.

I don't have a drinking problem. That's good to know. Phew.

------

In other news, I've completed page 804/1321 of Handbook of Data Structures and Applications, the whole of Animorphs Series: The Stranger and Guerilla Warfare by Ernesto ``Che'' Guevara, and page 25/99 of Animorphs Series: Megamorphs #1: The Andalite's Gift. I've also completed all possible side quests for Cyberpunk 2077, and am about to start on the quest ``Nocturne Op55N1'', which is the penultimate main story mission, and the so-called point of no return, where the ending of the game is locked depending on the choices made during ``Nocturne Op55N1''.

As I said before, I suck at doing endings, so it won't be done tonight---I still want to sleep [relatively] peacefully. It'll be tomorrow, and from the looks of it, I will conclude my foray into Night City, after which I will promptly uninstall the game, reclaiming some 64+ GB of space while recollecting the experience that was the game.

I have also come up with the broad concept for this year's entry for NaNoWriMo. Tentatively titled 50 Ways To Die, it will feature... umm... yes, fifty ways to die. It will give me the right excuse to do the necessary research to ensure that I can actually come up with the fifty ways.

Is that a cry for help? No no no no... I already said that if I were to die by my own hand, it would be after both my parents have passed on, and even so, only if there are no more responsibilities left for me. I'd like to consider this exercise as a way of confronting the random suicide ideation issue more directly and thus remove its power over me through massive amounts of thinking.

Alright, that's it for today. I'm going to munch on some Tao Kae Noi hot and spicy seaweed snacks while chilling in front of some video---probably a couple of Futurama episodes since the recent HoloEN stuff is a bit on the long side (3+ hours, even with 2× pace we are still looking at 1.5 hours---ain't nobody got time for that tonight).

Till the next update.

No comments: