Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Good Bye Night City (and Screw You [Again] IE11)

Urgh... what a head case.

I accidentally messed with IE11 for my personal domain, and rue the day that I did so. There was one outstanding issue that I raised in that post that I didn't solve, and it was that the fuzzified update times were failing out on IE11 after the first time it was successful.

Well, I resolved it today. May I turn your attention to ISO-8601's time zone designators. Observe that both +0800 and +08:00 are valid time offsets from UTC. Firefox and Chrome can handle both.

Guess which browser believes that only +08:00 is the valid format. Yep, it's I-friggin'-E11.

🤦‍♂️

I fixed that pronto and it worked. Sort of.

It turns out that IE11, in addition to not supporting the reversed keyword in <ol>, also doesn't support the CSS property of text-decoration-style.

``But why would that matter?''

Remember how I talked about the issue with the fuzzified update times? I was using <abbr> tags to store the original timestamp to allow the precise version to be shown when the mouse is hovered above it, like the way an abbreviation is presented. IE11 supports the <abbr> tag, but it's hidden away since it doesn't render something to the effect of text-decoration-style: dotted like Firefox and Chrome.

What's the point of having a defined <abbr> tagged information when the reader cannot see that it exists?

I fixed that with a hack, and surprisingly, the hack did more than just enable that dotted line demarcation in IE11---it also solved the side problem that I was having from the way I was doing digit grouping in SI style.

So that's most of the problems solved. I know of a way to solve the non-support of the reversed keyword in <ol>, but it requires additional effort for small gains---like most solutions, it involves implementing the behaviour using JavaScript. I'm just not sure if it is really something I would want to do.

------

As predicted, I completed Cyberpunk 2077 today, taking my femme V to leave Night City with the Aldecados and Judy, my in-game belle. It's an emotional end to a nice game with decent story-telling. I clocked more than 100 hours of play-time on it, and I don't regret it. It really gave Eileen-II a good work out with all that ray-tracing goodness (and Deep Learning Super Sampling (DLSS)), but the trade-off is one of the most gorgeous graphics I have seen in a long while.

Rain and its aftermath brings out the best that the graphics engine can offer, with luscious reflective elements and shadows that look more realistic than the usual shadow maps that are pre-built into the set pieces.

There are more endings that I can theoretically go back and get, but I think I will stop my gameplay on this ending that I chose. It ends the game in a way that I want, and that's good enough for me. The final set of missions were marred only by the weird bug where my Overwatch sniper rifle was removed---actually it was not just my Overwatch sniper rifle, but all my sniper rifles [in my inventory] that were removed. It was a [small] problem because there was one segment that could be better done through sniping from far away, but my build was around using assault rifles anyway, so it was at best a minor inconvenience---the specific assault rifle I was using fired in 3-round bursts anyway, and so armed with a decent scope, it could double as a half-ass sniper rifle without the penalties of low reload speed and ``only bloody far distance'' aiming.

As for reading, I've done page 925/1321 for Handbook of Data Structures and Applications. The going is tough, but I think I miiight be able to complete it by the middle of next week. I'm now nearing the end of part 6/7 (Data Structures in Languages and Libraries) and am about to hit the final part.

Looking at my list of games to play, I think I'll head back to Halo 2 next. I have abandoned Feudal Alloy, as well as Divinity: Original Sin. First person shooters and games that use mouse and keyboard really appeal to me more than controller stuff.

I do hope to at least complete one playthrough of Bayonetta though. Mmmm... leggy glasses-wearing long-haired sassy time witch...

A-hem.

I've also completed the first Futurama film, and hopefully I can finish it all by uhh... the week after. Then I can probably start on something else, like maybe Avatar or something. Who knows? Or perhaps a rewatch of the Hellsing OVA. Mmmm Integra Hellsing...

A-hem.

That's about it for now. Till the next update.

No comments: