Tuesday, April 20, 2021

AoSh and mala Hotpot

Today's a mix of some Jupiter Hell achievement seeking and reading.

I've progressed to page 289/1321 of Handbook of Data Structures and Applications, as well as page 936/2863 of the SCP Tome 5---SCP-2000 to SCP-2499. Nothing much to talk about there.

I have also completed the Angel of Shotgunnery challenge for Jupiter Hell. It was a fun one, and the details of the post-mortem can be found where I linked to.

I had an early dinner at č¾£'äøč¾£éŗ»č¾£é¦™é”… at 683 Hougang Avenue 8, #01-923, Singapore 530683. I've known about their existence at that spot for quite a while, and it was only recently that I actually went there to try their food.

Man, it reaally scratches that mala hotpot craving. That piquant flavour combined with the numbing spicy peppercorns is just amazing. Naturally, it's probably not the best mala hotpot in town, but as I have said many times before, sometimes the best food stall is just the one that one can have easy access to for the freshly made food. It's the same principle as I apply for prata, going for Al Falah Restaurant over at 681 Hougang Ave 8, #01-855, Singapore 530681 if I truly wanted prata [alone].

Or even Sin Heng Kee porridge over at 685 Hougang Street 61, #01-150, Singapore 530685, though to be fair Sin Heng Kee is considered to be among the best places for porridge in Singapore.

But my point is, tastes can change and adapt through frequent access, and thus having easy access to a certain food is definitely the best way to develop a certain taste for it. After all, food is very cultural in nature, and so what counts as ``good'' or ``not good'' is really in the eyes of the beholder. Any and all reviews for food should thus be considered individually to take into account the level of similarity between one's tastes and the reviewer's.

I mean, unless the day comes where reviewers start quantifying the flavour, texture, and other other physical properties of food via stating the concentrations of the various ions that create the flavour profile, and associated SEM, I would stick with this additional informal application of the K-L divergence interpretation.

I'm about to go for a bible study session with my care group, and so, I will just end this entry here.

Till the next update.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope this article on food flavor graphs interests you:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-020-79422-8.pdf

The_Laptop said...

Sure, I'll have a look at the article. But I forsee that it will probably get as far as the scientified nature of music scales, i.e. not very far, mostly because the quantification is too precise while the sensory nature of taste (in this case) is more diffused, concentrating likeness only in specific cultural population groups.

Anonymous said...

I agree. These unprecedentedly precise data may allow one to uncover patterns that have never been noticed. But whether these patterns have actual practical merit is more art than science. Just like in musical composition, where it is not just music theory knowledge that matters.