Thursday, April 08, 2021

Reading List Tweaks

Day's long, hot, and weird, the last being the case only because I just didn't feel the want to get out of the apartment or anything.

Somehow, −40.0 mV offset for Eileen-II was only stable for about 2 days or so---it actually caused the lock-screen to be black for nearly 30 s when trying to wake up from the screen-off state so that I can enter my password to unlock. Yes, basically LockApp.exe churned out this error:
The program LockApp.exe version 10.0.19041.844 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
I think that prior to this (and one other instance before), when I did not see the lock-screen after 5--10 s, I would do a hard-reset. Since that previous experience where waiting seemed to be enough to let the system the lock-screen back up without any ill effects, I have gone down the path of being more patient.

Once I got into Windows 10 proper, I went ahead and tweaked the offset to −35.2 mV instead. HWiNFO64 (v7.02-4430 is out as at writing---is a good version with collapsible tree-structured information) showed that the lowest Core VID was at around 0.526 V. This means that the leeway of 0.02+ V off 0.500 V (or allowing the lowest voltage to be no lower than 0.52+ V) was basically insufficiently stable. So I increased the offset such that the leeway was now up to 0.03+ V instead---this should be much stable.

Again, LockApp.exe's failure leaving the screen all black is just an indication that at some fundamental level, there was just not enough voltage to ensure that the Integrated GPU would respond correctly, since there was never such a problem when I wasn't messing with undervolting.

------

I spent most of the day finishing up the last eight volumes of The Junji Itō Horror Comic Collection. All-in-all, Itō's works remind me heavily about urban legends, and it did inspire me a little to think about some such stories to write about, so do keep an eye out on my scribble blog for them when they appear.

While updating the reading/read list, I was reminded about how my very old reading list page would contain a small ``latest five items'' sub-list in the ``Already Read'' section. It was hand-filled in, and a pain in the ass to keep updated, so for the longest time after the latest redesign, I just left it out completely just to avoid double-work.

But not any more.

Behold!
I basically used the same concept for the dizi articles navigation and auto-generated the list. Works like a charm.

And since it is below the fold, it doesn't matter too much if it takes longer to load. The added benefit is that should the user decide to check out the associated read list, it is already cached and wouldn't take as long.

I think that's all I want to write for today. I'm going for a shower, and then, probably going to head off to play a little Cyberpunk 2077. It has been a few days since I visited Night City.

Till the next update.

No comments: