Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Impossibru!

Okay okay, I know I've written too damn much today.

If you haven't figured out just how much I have written, just check out the last three entries here, and the third part to Print Me.

I should really stop, but I have just cause!

I went back to my favourite bar for some reading and writing recreation with drinking. The owner of the franchise happened to be there in the afternoon supervising some adjustments to the decor and we talked just for a moment. Ever since he had a new bar running out at Bencoolen St, he hasn't really been showing up at the one at Tai Seng, which was why he hired a bar manager in the first place. It was nice to see him and chat for a bit.

One thing that I had to do today was to appease the craving for a burger. Now, my favourite bar does have a good burger (it's also beer+burger promotion day), but the last time I was there, I noticed that the menu had been updated to include the Impossible Burger.

What better way to support my favourite bar (thus keeping its existence through patronage) than to try out this Impossible Burger?
It looks like a regular burger, and has the texture/flavour of a regular burger patty. The only caveat is that it is more medium-well than medium-rare, which probably reduced the flavour of the ``meatiness'' by quite a bit. I usually like my burger patties medium-rare for a more tender flavour, but it is not something that should be ordered unless one is certain about the provenance of the patty---it has to be fresh, otherwise we're looking at possible gastro-enteritis issues.

Overall, I think the Impossible Burger has achieved what it sought to do---it was definitely much closer to the flavour/texture of a regular burger than any of other soy-based mock-meat burgers that one might get from a Chinese vegetarian restaurant. But with a price premium of about 25% [at my favourite bar], I don't see it replacing the regular burger soon. To be fair, that premium is roughly on par with mock-meat vegetarian burgers as well, so there might be some commonality there.

Okay, that's all I want to write here. Need to take a break---I think I have easily written upwards of three thousand words throughout the whole day over different segments of the day; it's a little... unnatural. But I blame it on doing stupid things at stupid o'clock.

Till the next update.

No comments: