Sunday, April 11, 2021

Walk About the Neighbourhood

Since the day that I got my hiking boots back, I've been longing for the day where I would feel less lazy and bothered by the heat/rain to go for a long walk.

Today, I did it. I went for a slightly long walk about my neighbourhood.

I went to Arnold's Fried Chicken at Hougang Green Shopping Mall with my parents for lunch to celebrate some mutant Mother's/Father's/Whatever's day, thereafter I just carried on from there solo for a walk. The walk took me to somewhere along Buangkok Dr, where there was hardly anyone there. It was a nice and sunny day, and I just sat there absorbing the sunlight and just meditated quietly about... nothing. The sun beating upon me provided a nice warmth that was balanced off by the wind that was blowing through ever so often. Apart from the low whistle of the wind, there was the occasional engine sound from a vehicle driving by, and some really far-off shouting from within IMH.

It was as close to bliss as it could be on this tropical island with all the hustle and bustle. For a moment in time, I was truly carefree, with no one to think nor worry about, and nothing ahead and behind me to ponder over also.

Eventually though, my cellphone did ring unexpectedly and I fielded a call from sifu. After that, I just continued along the road and finished the loop back towards Hougang Green Shopping Mall, before following Buangkok Green towards Yio Chu Kang Road. I turned along that road and went along Hougang Ave 9, and went into Hougang 1 to check out the renovation of the Fairprice upstairs---they had finally completed it, after which I just headed back to my main neighbourhood.

Along the way though, I cannot help but notice the verticality of it all. I had hardly ever noticed how easy it was to see the sky, relative to all the buildings and the roads. Whether it was because the difference in direction (I didn't usually walk this way), or that I was wearing my favourite hiking boots, or if it was a change of perspective from meditation, it did seem as though there was just more verticality in everything that I saw.

Trees on the sidewalk were forming tall green canopied corridors that I couldn't help but notice, while the apartment blocks seemed to ebb away even as they loomed. There was something inexplicable but awe-inspiring in an uplifting sort of way.

I don't know if I can get this feeling back again.

------

In other news, I completed The Land of Ingary Trilogy: Howl's Moving Castle, and have started on The Land of Ingary Trilogy: Castle in the Air, clocking in at page 287/778 as at the time of this blog entry. I've not watched the Studio Ghibli film of the same name, but having read the novel, am rather reluctant to watch the film, for the simple reason that the film versions of the books are, more often than not, deviating in the nature, and in many cases, for the worse.

I have also found Handbook of Data Structures and Applications, and have this weird compulsion to read it. It weighs in at 1321 pages, but most of it should be quite familiar and can be gone through at a much higher pace.

I spent some time tweaking the presentation layout and page structure for my domain, of which the most obvious changes were to tweak all the indentation levels so that they conform to when the <ol> numbers get into the 4-digits. I've also made the <blockquote> have an additional bar on the left side to further indicate that it is a blockquote, and I've tweaked <p> a bit to allow a more visually balanced view despite using left-justified text only.

I think that's about all for now. Till the next update.

No comments: